Several months ago I promised a friend I would email her pictures of my (very few) paintings. Since I still haven’t gotten around to that, I decided to just post them here.
I decided to try my hand at painting when I wanted a mural around one of our fireplaces. I decided to start with the fireplace in our kitchen, a very small kiva fireplace we use often.
I didn’t want to waste a good paintbrush on my experiment, so I used a .49 cent chip brush from the hardware store. It actually worked out pretty well, in my opinion. You can see a little of the flame details in this picture (you can see the Sharpie lines on the bottom right of the drawing, where I couldn’t get the outline of the flame quite right), I thought they ended up looking very smoke-blackened and I really like it.
After that, I thought I’d try my luck with some chicken portraits. . .
Here is the first one, which is a painting of Zsa Zsa, who is a somewhat crazy bird:
I then painted Cordelia and Bernard on these two old Adirondack chair backs:
Here’s a better photo of the Bernard chair:
Right now I’m working on a “barnyard” mural, but finding chickens in action are a lot more difficult to paint than my portraits…